KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX,
a native cross-platform port of KeePass Password Safe, with the goal
to extend and improve it with new features and bugfixes to provide a feature-rich, fully cross-platform and modern
open-source password manager.
The project repository is available on
To stay up to date with news about the project, you can also follow us on
- Secure storage of passwords and other private data with AES, Twofish or ChaCha20 encryption
- Cross-platform, runs on Linux, Windows and macOS without modifications
- File format compatibility with KeePass2, KeePassX, MacPass, KeeWeb and many others (KDBX 3.1 and 4.0)
- SSH Agent integration
- Auto-Type on all supported platforms for automagically filling in login forms
- Key file and YubiKey challenge-response support for additional security
- TOTP generation (including Steam Guard)
- CSV import from other password managers (e.g., LastPass)
- Command line interface
- Stand-alone password and passphrase generator
- Password strength meter
- Custom icons for database entries and download of website favicons
- Database merge functionality
- Automatic reload when the database was changed externally
- Browser integration with KeePassXC-Browser for
Chromium, Vivaldi, and Mozilla Firefox.
For a full list of new features and changes, have a look at the
full KeePassXC changelog.
KeePassHTTP has been deprecated as of KeePassXC 2.3, and has been removed completely as of version 2.4. Please migrate to KeePassXC-Browser if you are still using this feature.
KeePassXC has the following runtime requirements:
- Qt5 (5.2 or newer, 5.3 or newer for compiling browser integration): qtbase and qttools5
- libgcrypt (1.7 or newer)
- libxi, libxtst, qtx11extras (optional, for Auto-Type on X11/Linux)
- libyubikey, libykpers-1 (optional, for YubiKey support)
- libsodium (optional, for Browser Integration support)
- libcurl4 (optional, for downloading website favicons)
When using the AppImage or Snap Package release, these dependencies are already
bundled with the application.
For building KeePassXC from source code, the following build-time dependencies are also required:
- cmake (3.1 or newer)
- g++ (4.7 or newer) or clang++ (3.0 or newer)
- headers for all runtime dependencies (*-dev or *-devel packages)