Quickstart Guide for KeePassXC
This procedure gets KeePassXC running on your computer with browser integration,
using the pre-built binaries available for download
from our website.
TL;DR KeePassXC saves your passwords securely.
When you double-click a URL in KeePassXC, it launches your default browser to that URL.
With browser integration configured, KeePassXC automatically enters
username/password credentials into web page fields.
Installing and starting KeePassXC
- Download the native installer and install
KeePassXC for your Windows, macOS, or Linux computer in the usual way for your platform.
- Open the KeePassXC application.
- Create a new database and give it a master key that's used to unlock the database file.
This database holds entries (usernames, passwords, account numbers, notes)
for all your websites, programs, etc.
- Create a few entries – enter the username, password, URL, and optionally notes about the entry.
- KeePassXC securely stores those entries in the database.
Setting up browser integration with KeePassXC
- Within KeePassXC, go to Tools->Settings
(on macOS, go to KeePassXC->Preferences).
- In Browser Integration, check Enable KeePassXC browser integration
Leave the other options at their defaults.
- Enable the checkbox for your browser.
- In your default web browser, install the KeePassXC-Browser extension/add-on.
- Click the KeePassXC icon in the upper-right corner. You'll see the dialog below.
- Click the blue Connect button to make the browser extension connect to the KeePassXC application.
- Switch back to KeePassXC. You'll see a dialog (below) indicating that a request to connect has arrived.
- Give the connection a name (perhaps Keepass-Browsername, any unique name will suffice) and click OK to accept it.
- This one-time operation connects KeePassXC and your browser.
Using browser integration
- Within KeePassXC, double-click the URL of an entry,
or select it and type Ctrl+U (Cmd+U on macOS).
- Your browser opens to that URL.
- If there are username/password fields on that page, you will see the dialog below.
Click "Allow" to confirm that KeePassXC may access the credentials to auto-fill the fields.
- Check Remember this decision to allow this each time you visit the page.